As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
We can all agree that no kitchen is complete without the perfect knife set and cutting board combo. These accessories are essential for every meal you have to prepare, so there’s no doubt about how much you need them in your kitchen.
But aside from just picking a good chopping board, you should also consider whether its material and overall performance work well with your choice of knives. Otherwise, both your knives and cutting board won’t last as long as you hoped. And we’re speaking from experience.
We’ve recently switched from ordinary cutting boards to special wooden ones to use with my Shun knives. Since the switch, we noticed that the knives began to perform better and didn’t dull out as often as they normally would. That’s how we knew that we made the right decision.
So if you’re looking for the best cutting board for Shun knives, you came to the right place. Here, we’ll introduce you to five of the best in the market – so you can easily pick the perfect one for you.
|Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board||CHECK PRICE||0.75 in.|
|Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens||CHECK PRICE||0.75 in.|
|Villa Acacia Large Wood Cutting Board||CHECK PRICE||
|Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board||CHECK PRICE||1.25 in.|
Why do you need a special cutting board for Shun knives?
Shun knives are among the top-tier chef’s knives in the market. They’re known for their razor-sharp blades, superior ergonomics, and impeccable style, which is why it’s highly sought-after by chefs and cooking enthusiasts from all over the world.
With that said, there’s no doubt that Shun knives are special – and can be quite expensive. To make sure that you’re making the most of what you pay for, it’s best to get a cutting board that’s specially designed to ensure the longevity and quality of Shun knives.
One of the biggest reasons why you need a special cutting board for Shun knives is because these boards as specially designed to withstand its sharp edges. This quality helps prevent scratch marks and cracks, and that helps extend the cutting board’s longevity.
Similarly, these boards are also designed to protect the blades on the Shun knife. That allows it to last longer – even with minimal maintenance work.
5 Best Cutting Board for Shun Knives: Reviews
Now that you know why it’s important to have a special cutting board for Shun knives, let’s proceed to our reviews. We had to try different wooden chopping boards to come up with five of the best, so you can rely on our experiences to guide you.
Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board
When it comes to the best cutting board for Shun knives, then it’s only logical to think of the Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board. This is one of the first cutting boards we’ve tried, and we continue to be impressed.
Since it’s made by the same brand who manufactures our favorite knives, we had high expectations about its performance. It has to work – it’s a Shun cutting board, after all. Fortunately, we were not disappointed.
This large cutting board has dimensions of 18 inches by 12 inches, making it quite spacious for large meal preparations. We didn’t have a problem with its size, as it was enough for preparing meals for big families.
From its name, the Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board is made from Hinoki, which is a Japanese cypress wood. It has a medium-soft hardness that’s tough enough to withstand sharp blades yet soft enough to preserve the knives’ quality.
We also have to note that the Hinoki material leaves a bit of a natural wooden fragrance. We didn’t find it bothersome at all, but some people with sensitivity to certain scents may think otherwise. Nevertheless, it wears off after a while, so it’s not a big problem.
The Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board also has a lovely light wooden color that blends well with most modern kitchens. We love how it adds a homey vibe to our kitchen, and that surely makes meal preparation more inspiring.
Overall, the Shun DM0817 Cutting Board is one of the best cutting boards in the market because of its superior performance and design.
- The Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board is lightweight, making it perfect for home use.
- Its smooth and flat surface makes meal preparation a breeze, while its medium-soft wood hardness makes it the perfect companion for Shun knives.
- It’s also quite easy to clean – just use soap and water and leave it to air dry.
- All things considered, you’re getting great value for the money with this cutting board.
However, the Shun DM0817 Hinoki Large Cutting Board is not perfect. Because it’s only 0.75 inches thick, its edges tend to split up after heavy use.
Also, it grows mold if you don’t let it dry out properly, and that makes it quite high maintenance.
Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens
If you find the Shun DM0817 a little too bright and minimalistic for your taste, then you might want to consider the Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens. With its rich chocolate brown color, it’s bound to help you make a statement in the kitchen.
This stylish cutting board has dimensions of 17 inches by 11 inches, which is large enough to prepare for medium to large families. And since it’s only 0.75 inches thick, handling it wasn’t much of a problem. It’s an excellent choice for home cooks who want a cutting board that’s stylish and easy to clean.
The Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens has a lovely dark brown color – all thanks to its black walnut wood material. Aside from its durability, this material is also known for its porous nature. And that makes it perfect for maintaining the sharp edges on your Shun knives.
And if you’re concerned about how this cutting board is produced, we’re here to tell you that it’s proudly made from responsibly sourced material. You don’t have to worry about whether it’s made from endangered tree species or not.
We also love the 2-in-1 design on this cutting board. One side can be used as a chopping board – and flipping it to the other side will leave you with a charcuterie board. And considering its lovely chocolate hue, wine nights are never the same.
Without a doubt, the Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens is a top contender for the best cutting board for Shun knives. It’s stylish and incredibly sturdy – so you know both the board and the knives will last for a long time.
- One of the biggest pros of this cutting board is its versatile design. While it’s on the more expensive side of the spectrum, this versatility gives us great value for the money.
- It’s also quite durable, so you don’t have to worry about cracks and scratch marks.
- We also love its lightweight and low-maintenance design. If you’re someone who’s always on the go, this is the perfect cutting board for you.
- And of course, the lovely dark hue on this cutting board also makes it a great kitchen ornament when it’s not in use.
Because of the 0.75-inch thickness, it does tend to warp over time. Make sure to take extra care of it to prevent it from happening.
Villa Acacia Large Wood Cutting Board
The Villa Acacia Large Wood Cutting Board is another notable cutting board that’s made of premium materials. Despite its durable construction and design, it still retails for an affordable price. And that makes it the best for those of you who are on a budget.
A lot of you may be hesitant about buying an affordable wooden cutting board. Is the quality up to par? Is it easily replaceable? Is there a catch? These are just some of the questions that come to mind.
Fortunately, after trying it out for a few meal preparations, we can confirm that it is one of the best butting boards for Shun knives in the market.
It has dimensions of 17 inches by 12 inches, which is large enough for large meal preparations. We didn’t feel like we needed more space while chopping our favorite meats, and that’s always a good sign.
This wooden chopping board is made from Acacia wood, known for its golden hues and hardwood quality. This feature makes it incredibly sturdy, so you can count on it to last for a long time.
The material is also water-resistant, so you know that it won’t foster mold and other bacteria. Acacia also helps maintain the quality of your knives, and that’s why we believe it’s perfect for your Shun knives.
Despite being one inch thick, the Villa Acacia Large Wood Cutting Board only weighs around five pounds. That makes it quite lightweight, so cleaning and storage won’t be a problem. This thickness also makes it less prone to warping, so you’ll be able to use it for longer periods.
- The Villa Acacia Large Wood Cutting Board is the most affordable item on this list. If you’re looking for the best budget-friendly cutting board for Shun knives, look no further than this cutting board.
- It is made from thick Acacia material that’s not prone to warping and similar deformations. Acacia is also water-resistant, which helps ensure longevity.
- The Villa Acacia Large Wood Cutting Board is also lightweight and easy to clean, so it won’t take up a lot of your post-cooking time.
The only downside we can think of about this cutting board is that the surface is not scratch-resistant. But considering the price, we think it’s not too bad.
Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board
If you need an extra-large cutting board, look no further than the Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board. We were quite surprised by its dimensions, but we were even more surprised by its usability.
This large cutting board has dimensions of 18 inches by 14 inches – the biggest we have on this list. But despite its sizeable dimensions, it’s quite easy to use, and that convenience earned it a spot on our list.
The Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board has a well-thought-out design that undoubtedly makes meal preparation more convenient. It has a pair of side handles to make carrying easier, so you don’t have to worry about its bulky dimensions.
It also features a notable juice groove – so if you’re slicing something that contains juice, you don’t have to worry about it spilling all over the countertop. It also makes transferring from one table to another incredibly hassle-free. With this feature, you only have to worry about cleaning the cutting board.
Speaking of cleaning, the Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board features a smooth surface that makes it easy to clean. Thanks to the side handle, cleaning it with soap and water won’t be too much of a struggle.
We must also note that this cutting board is made from premium teak wood. This material is highly sustainable, so you know there won’t be any negative environmental impact from its production. Teak also contains high oil content, and that makes the board low maintenance.
The Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board also has a lovely golden-brown hue that complements the teak’s natural grain pattern. These features make it charming – and it undoubtedly looks great in every kitchen.
- It is very stylish, so you won’t regret having it in your kitchen. But despite its undeniable aesthetics, it’s also designed to ensure our utmost functionality. So even if it’s big and bulky, using it and carrying it won’t be a problem.
- The convenient juice groove along the edge helps keep the juice extracts from the countertop, leaving your kitchen clean after every meal preparation. So if you’re always in a hurry, this is the perfect cutting board for you.
- The Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board also has extra-large dimensions, making it perfect for small businesses and large families.
- And despite all of these benefits, this cutting board retails at an affordable price. That’s why it’s a top contender for the best cutting board for Shun knives.
While the Large Reversible Teak Wood Cutting Board seems too good to be true, we still noticed some flaws. First, it can be big and bulky – and a little too heavy for some users.
Second, it’s also prone to warping if you don’t take good care of it.
Hodekt Wood Cutting Board with Stand
Completing our list is the Wood Cutting Board with Stand. At first glance, there’s no denying that this cutting board is one of the most aesthetic cutting blocks we’ve ever seen. It has a minimalist block design with a warm reddish-brown hue, and that makes it perfect for every kitchen. It even comes with a convenient stand, so storage won’t be a problem when it’s not in use.
The Wood Cutting Board with Stand uses premium Acacia, known for its density and superior durability. Acacia is also known for its impact resistance, so you know it pairs well with any Shun knife.
Another feature we love about this cutting board is its BPA-free construction. That means that it uses food-grade materials only for its construction, and that reduces the risk for conditions and diseases caused by high BPA content.
Because of its smooth and minimalist design, the Wood Cutting Board with Stand is quite easy to use. It also has small dimensions, so carrying it around won’t be a problem.
- It is lightweight and easy to clean, making it perfect if you’re on your own or cooking for small families.
- The Wood Cutting Board with Stand also has a lovely hue that makes it stand out from the crowd.
- Because of its convenient size and notable aesthetics, this cutting board is also highly giftable.
The smaller dimensions on this cutting board can make it a little too limiting for other home cooks. Also, we noticed a bit of discoloration after a few uses, so it doesn’t maintain that lovely reddish-brown hue for a long time.
Why is a wooden cutting board the best for Shun knives?
At this point, you may have noticed that our selection only contains wooden cutting boards. The following are the reasons why a wooden cutting board is best for Shun knives.
- Wooden cutting boards maintain their appearance for a long time. These cutting blocks are known for their natural hardness and durability, and that allows them to maintain a smooth surface for a long time. That makes it easy to work with.
- Even if the sharp edge of a Shun knife manages to scratch its surface, you can smooth it out once again with sandpaper.
- It helps maintain the quality of the knife. Wooden cutting boards also help maintain the quality of the Shin knife. Wood has a natural hardness to it that does not damage the blade of your knife upon impact. Depending on the type of wood used, it can even prevent the knife from becoming dull, and that reduces the time spent for regular sharpening.
- It is long-lasting. As we have previously mentioned, wooden cutting blocks are naturally hard and sturdy. This means that it won’t easily crack despite the amount of force you apply. As a result, you know you’re getting your money’s worth.
- A wooden cutting board helps prevent cross-contamination. And finally, these wooden cutting boards have naturally occurring elements that help prevent cross-contamination. As long as you thoroughly clean out its smooth surface, you don’t have to worry about any bacteria or other microscopic organisms that stay on the surface.
How to Take Care of Your Cutting Board
Before we end this article, we want to give you a few pointers on how to take care of your cutting board. Keep these in mind if you want to make the most of what you paid for.
- Always clean the cutting board right after use. This is especially true if you used it to chop meat of any kind. Failure to clean the cutting board will lead to cross-contamination, and that could make your cooking go bad. Additionally, failure to clean it properly allows it to harbor germs and bacteria, making it unhygienic for food preparation.
Also, the inside of the dishwasher can be too hot for a wooden cutting block, and that can greatly affect its quality in the long run.
- Make sure to air dry the cutting board properly after cleaning. If the board isn’t properly air-dried, it retains a lot of moisture that could potentially invite molds to thrive. And you don’t want that on your food!
- It’s important to wash your cutting board with soap and water – and wash it by hand only. Even if you think your cutting board can fit inside a dishwasher, we advise against doing so. Washing it by hand is the way to go if you want to get rid of all the food particles and debris. And that makes it clean enough for the next use.
- Invest in an oil that’s specifically meant to maintain wooden chopping boards. When wood is stripped off of its natural oils, it becomes brittle and prone to cracks. Thus, we recommend wiping it with oil from time to time to maintain its durability.
Looking for the best cutting board for Shun knives can be tricky. After all, there are so many options out there with seemingly similar features, and that makes it hard to choose the best of the best.
Lucky for you, we already went through all the hassle to help you narrow down your options. Rest assured, we only picked the ones that worked for us, so you can be confident that it will work for your Shun knives, too.
Thus, all you have to think of is the size you need, the color you want, and the material you think works best for you. And that’s how we make your decision-making a lot less complicated.