As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
When it comes to making gumbo roux, there is a lot of debate about what type of oil is best to use. Some people swear by vegetable oil, while others prefer to use canola oil. Ultimately, it really comes down to several factors.
As Gumbo roux is made by slowly cooking flour and oil together until it forms a thick paste. So the best oil for gumbo roux is one that has a high smoke point and a neutral flavor, like canola oil, sunflower, or vegetable oil. As a result, will therefore be less likely to burn.
However, we would recommend the 4 best oil for gumbo roux, as it has a higher smoke point. So that you can use this paste as the foundation of other dishes or just to increase the thickness of sauces, soup, and so on.
Have a look –
Review of 4 Best Oil for Gumbo Roux
1. Pompeian 100% Grapeseed Oil, 68 FL. OZ.
If you’re looking for an oil to help you make a perfect gumbo roux, Pompeian 100% Grapeseed Oil is a great option. This oil has a high smoke point, so it can handle the high heat needed to make a roux. It also has a neutral flavor, so it won’t affect the taste of your gumbo.
Again, with 68 ounces, you’ll have plenty to make a big batch of roux for your family and friends. Besides, it’s gluten-free, kosher, non-allergenic, and non-GMO certified, so you can enjoy your gumbo without worry.
This grapeseed oil adds a delicious flavor to your gumbo along with making the thickness perfectly. Moreover, it’s also healthy for you with taste!
1. Light and subtle flavored oil that is perfect for gumbo roux.
2. Smoke point of 485 degrees Fahrenheit, making it perfect for high-heat cooking, deep frying.
3. Cholesterol free property making it a healthy choice for cooking.
4. Large quantity for long time use.
The oil has a subtle flavor, which some people may not enjoy.
2. Healthy Harvest Non-GMO Sunflower Oil, 1 Gallon
Looking for healthy and best oil for a roux? Look no further than Healthy Harvest Non-GMO Sunflower Oil! This oil is naturally processed to retain its natural antioxidants, making it a healthy choice for perfect gumbo roux paste. At the same time, you can use it for cooking, baking, frying, and more.
This oil can make a great suspension with the flour and gradually make the perfectly thick gumbo roux every time. So far, you will get a thick and delicious gumbo roux for the sauces, soup, or other dishes for decoration.
Besides, this oil is kosher and non-GMO certified. Plus, it comes in a gallon size, making it a great value for your money.
1. A healthy cooking oil that is naturally processed to retain natural antioxidants.
2. Good source of vitamin E, which is an important antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
3. Beneficial for heart health.
4. This oil is a healthy choice for gumbo roux, cooking, baking, frying, and more.
5. The gallon size is a great value.
The bottle size and design is not quite convenient to use it easily.
3. BetterBody Foods Refined Avocado Oil, 16.9 Fl Oz
Looking for all-natural cooking oil that can help you create gumbo roux and other Cajun and Creole dishes? Then pick up a bottle of BetterBody Foods Refined Avocado Oil. This oil is perfect for those who want to add a little flavor to their cooking without using any chemicals or artificial ingredients.
The avocado oil can make a great paste of gumbo roux if you keep mixing the oil drops continuously into flour. It is also a great option to make perfect mayonnaise as well.
Plus, it’s a healthy alternative to other cooking oils on the market. This non-GMO cooking oil is perfect for frying, baking, and making gumbo roux. It’s also keto and paleo diet-friendly. Plus, it comes in a handy 16.9 fl oz size.
1. Non-GMO, kosher, and friendly for gumbo roux, mayonnaise, high-heat cooking, frying, and baking.
2. It has a light, neutral flavor that will not alter the taste of your food.
3. The oil is a healthy source of monounsaturated fats.
4. It is a vegan and paleo-friendly oil.
5. The oil comes in a 500 mL bottle, making it a great value.
It may seems expensive for some consumers.
4. Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Canola Oil, 1 gallon (128 Fl Oz)
If you enjoy making gumbo at home, you’ll need a good roux to get that perfect flavor. This canola oil from Happy Belly will do the trick.
It’s made from 100% expeller-pressed canola oil and has a light flavor that won’t overpower your gumbo. Plus, it has a high smoke point, so it can handle the heat of your gumbo pot.
Again, this 1-gallon oil is totally cholesterol-free and trans-fat-free. It only provides 14g total fat per serving with 0g trans fat. Also, it’s a non-GMO-certified oil. So nothing can be a great option than this canola oil to make gumbo roux.
So far, this canola oil is perfect for making a perfectly thick gumbo roux that is packed with flavor.
-The oil is cold-pressed and has a high smoke point, which makes it great for gumbo roux
-GMO-free and has a high omega-3 content
-The oil is made with only the highest quality ingredients
The size may disturb during pouring the oil.
Making a perfect gumbo roux at home isn’t easy if you fail to select the right oil. So, here we have reviewed the 4 best oil for gumbo roux.
All of the oils have a high smoke point as well as a natural flavor. By those, you can make gumbo roux with per thickness and taste.
Spray or pour drop by drop oil in the flour and mix them until you will get the preferable thickness. The gumbo roux will be ready within a few minutes to mix with the soup, sauces, or stews. That will enhance the color and flavor of your favorite dishes effectively!
People also read-